Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Action!

I've never really (so far in the program) created any kind of action plan. It does occur to me lately that I'm fearing making progress in my career-life. I know exactly the career I want to have but I don't know exactly how to get there and I'm also feeling fearful about getting what I want.

I guess when I think about it (which is starting right now as I write) those fears are about measuring up, about whether or not I will even be satisfied with the work that I feel called to do, about whether or not others will deem me adequate to give me the support I need to get the job, about having the courage to ask them for their help to begin with, and about whether or not I will ever even be hired.
I want to teach students with behavioral and/or emotional problems. Right now I am a substitute teacher (in my third year of subbing) and I have an M.A. in English which unfortunately doesn't qualify me to teach public school.
Last year I went to speak to a woman at the university where I got my masters, asking her about a Post-Baccalaureate program they have for people who have degrees but do not have the necessary teaching certification to teach in public schools.

She told me that since I wanted to go into Special Ed., which is one area where more teachers are needed than are available, I could take the PRAXIS test, and if I passed it I could apply for teaching jobs under a "transitional" teaching license. If I were to get a teaching job, then I would spend 3 years taking classes while teaching in order to complete my license.

This approach was much easier and less costly than going back to school for three years and THEN getting a job. So I studied for the PRAXIS for 3 months, took it and aced it, and applied for teaching jobs last June. I did get called for an initial interview by the county board of education, but the next step in the process would have been going to interview with principals at schools who were interested in hiring me for specific positions at their schools. This never happened.

Which could be because I sucked in my interview. (I hope not! Though possible, I don't think I'm the best interviewer). Or, it could be because there were not any available Special Ed. positions that the county thought me best suited for that could not be filled with currently-certified teachers.

So I'm going in the right direction generally, but for the past year I've been sort of floating along, which was good in a way. I was "trusting" God, the Universe, the source, etc. to guide me to the correct position for me. I was waiting for signs to know what next steps to make, and today I think I am getting those signs and insights. I am also gaining the courage to actually take them.

So, anyway, I think an action plan looks like this:

--Speak to the Human Resources director in charge of Special Ed. for her insight and advice into how I should best go forward, knowing as I do that I want to work with kids who have behavioral issues
--Take whatever advice she gives me! I'm specifically wondering if taking a T.A. position initially would be the best route for getting initiated into the culture of a particular school, so that the principal there would know me and be more willing/likely to hire me into a transitional-licensure teaching position when one comes available.
--Speak to the handful of people I know currently working in the school system to see if they would be references for me
--Apply again for this year's available positions, with better references and more experience and know-how than last year

No comments: