Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Fox Totem Says, "Graze!"

Yesterday and today I'd been eyeing a fox ring that my employer sells (I work for a jewelry company). I kept wishing we had a wolf ring, because I did have a dream the other night in which someone told me wolf was my totem animal (and gave me a baby wolf), but I was attracted to the fox ring because it was so cute and for some reason the face of the fox reminded me of my cat Cocoa. :) (Kitty love!)

Anyway, today I logged into facebook and two different people on my friend's list posted fox-related photos. One was a picture of a pillow with a fox face, the other was a photo of an actual fox. I don't just accept things like this as coincidence, I say, "Here is a message! Spirit has got something for me."

Foxy you gotz some funny whizkers.

The information I read about fox's spirit animal symbolism (or its "medicine") makes a lot of sense for me in terms of job search and my emotional life at the moment. But what's most interesting to me is how it relates to my recovery from food addiction.

Today for some reason I felt like grazing... I was hungry more often today than usual, but satisfied myself with small amounts of food more often. Apparently grazing is the natural way that foxes are known to eat, and so that is part of their medicine. Funny! Perhaps spirit is saying, "Maybe the popular OA method of eating of three meals a day, no snacking in-between,  one day at a time is not for you!" Or, maybe it's not *always* for me. In any case it heartened me that eating more frequently was okay. :)

I do want to be clear here that OA does not recommend or require any specific plan of eating. But "three meals a day, no snacking, one day at a time" is an optional plan that is offered by OA as a possible way of thinking about a food plan, and many people do adopt that plan as they enter recovery. 

No comments: