Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hunter S. Thompson--Hungry for What?

Someone posted this on my Facebook newsfeed today. It's an article that sums up a biographical account of Hunter S. Thompson's life. Who knows how accurate this is, but accurate or not, it is sadly believable. The drugs were of no surprise to me, given his reputation, but the food bingeing caught me by surprise.


































It surprises me somehow to think that Hunter S. Thompson was a food addict, but it is not surprising to see food addiction occurring simultaneously with drug addiction. Why? Because I've been there! I know firsthand about getting high and overeating. Former pothead, right here. I would definitely combine a marijuana binge with a food binge (that's shocking right?). ;) Though the pothead "munchie" stereotypes prevail, we don't hear as often about cocaine and other drugs being combined with food, but here it is.

Like I said, it's not clear if this was Thompson's actual reality, but it has been more or less reality for many people in the world: wake up, take drugs, take drugs, take food, take drugs, etc. Throw a drug down the throat, be it food or alcohol or a pill, or inject it into a vein, or snort it up your nose. What is with the incessant drugging? What are we trying so hard to fill or to avoid? My first reaction to seeing this schedule was "God, that's someone who really just needs love." All of these things, cocaine, weed, fettucine alfredo... they are not love. This man needed to know that he was loved. I doubt that he lacked love, but certainly he did not recognize the love that was being given to him. And I relate to that one too.


FYI: Because I am also, on top of  being an addict, a very neurotic person, I did find this link that confirms that the correct spelling of bingeing is, in fact, BINGEING and not BINGING. I offer up this indefatigable proof beforehand to protect my fragile ego should anyone dare question my spelling choices. Spell-check, for instance, does not think bingeing is a real word. But it doesn't seem to think binging is a real world either, so what gives? What would the 12 Steps say to me about this ego-tripping? Ugggghhhhhh.

No comments: