Saturday, January 12, 2013

What is a "Trigger Food"?

I know there are foods that, if they are in front of me, I will have great trouble eating in moderation. I'm not sure that necessarily makes them trigger foods.

I do find that soda (whether diet or regular) tends to be a trigger for me, which means that when I drink them I want to eat, overeat specifically, and usually not healthy foods at that. So I avoid sodas.

Other than soda though I'm not sure I really have trigger foods persay. Maybe fast food is a trigger food. If I have fast food I definitely always want more. Other than Subway, I have not eaten fast food since I've been abstinent. Subway does not trigger me in the same way McDonald's or other ones do, perhaps because the choices there are somewhat healthier in general (well, I choose the healthier ones) and also because you have to actually walk in the door (gasp!) to get your food which lessens the whole "instant gratification" trigger. So anyway, although I have chosen to avoid fast food, I do not include Subway on the "avoid list" for these reasons.

Maybe chips are a trigger food. At least, if I have a large bag I'm likely to eat way more than a serving. There have been two times when I've eaten chips since abstinent though, and haven't had too much trouble with it. The first time I was at a coffee shoppe with a friend and I ordered a curry chicken salad sandwich, which I did not realize came with a side of potato chips. I gave the chips to my friend, but ended up eating 3 or 4 of them and was surprised to find they had no major affect on me.

Then today I was getting new tires and an oil change at Wal-mart and they said it would be an hour or maybe longer, so I decided to go ahead and eat my dinner at the Subway in the store. I threw caution to the wind and got the side of Sunchips. I did not feel especially triggered by these chips either, perhaps because they were in a pre-portioned bag.

If I get a container of cheese dip or cheese spread (Kroger has some store-made ones that I loooove) then I definitely will eat the entire thing, which I'm sure is like 1000 calories at least (plus the calories of the crackers or chips I have eaten it with). So I definitely stay away from cheese dips/spreads. Does that make them a trigger? They don't trigger me to just eat anything and everything in sight, but it is almost impossible not to eat the whole thing itself. But that in and of itself is enough of a reason for me to know to stay away from them.

So really maybe soda and cheese dips are major danger foods for me. And fast food. For the most part though I honestly do not relate to the whole "trigger food" concept. I've read multiple accounts of people eating just one piece of candy and then spiraling into a binge. I just don't get it--I mean, I can certainly understand that this happens to people, but for the most part I do not recall having these experiences. But then because I know I have a diseased mind, I wonder if I really don't have these experiences or if my disease has confused me into thinking that I haven't? I wish I could trust my logic about food a bit better. :)

I think my triggers are more emotional. I'm bored? That's a MAJOR trigger for me. I'm angry, frustrated, sad, also triggers. I want to celebrate something? Time to go out for an extra special overeat! ;)

So even though I don't drink soda, yesterday I tempted fate a little bit by drinking part of a flavored seltzer that my roommate had in the fridge. It has no calories, no sweeteners, so it should be a relatively safe food, but once about a month and a half ago (before I became abstinent) I drank one of these after having been soda-free for 3 weeks and it put me into a two-week binge. I do think this might have been less about the seltzer and more about the fact that I really wanted to "live it up" before finally truly getting abstinent. Why do I think that? Well, because I kept *thinking it* as the binge progressed. I don't know that I've ever had quite that degree of binge before. Generally I'm more of an overeater/constant snacker. I think I was having a strong emotional reaction to the idea of becoming abstinent for life, for real. (Pretty scary!)

Still, though the seltzer water did not inspire any kind of binge this time it was likely still a stupid thing to do. Something about carbonation to me says usually says "eat eat eat." It didn't this time, though.  I just had a neurotic mind-loop about how scary and self-destructive it was to be tempting fate by drinking that seltzer. I did end up eating 3 Oreos later (that I've had in the house since pre-abstinence), but I can't really say it was overeating or bingeing either. Three cookies is a fairly moderate, quote/unquote "normal eater" choice I think.    Today at work one of my co-workers offered me some of her Oreos and I turned them down without any difficulty. So... while I've never considered cookies/pastries a majorly difficult food for me to avoid this seems to confirm for me that I can eat such foods in moderation. Still would be better to eat them seldom though, and leave more room in my tummy for higher-nutrition foods, but an occasional treat is a-okay I think.

I dunno. I guess I'm writing this post because yesterday I drank some seltzer water, ate 3 cookies (not at all a trigger/binge food for me generally as I'm not a sweet binger unless that's all there is, but still out of character), and today I chose the bag of chips as the side for my 6 inch sub.

Am I tempting myself? Gauging myself? Self-destructing? Probably I'm just gauging myself. I like these foods. I want to be able to eat them in moderation because I want to be a "normal" eater. You know Ghandi says "be the change you want to see in the world," well, I'm trying to be the eater I want to see myself being? I want to be able to eat in a way that's realistic for a lifetime, I guess, which includes the occasional treat. I also am really trying to understand if I truly do have trigger foods because all in all the concept still befuddles me.

Anyway, this is me processing. I still know that it's likely best not to eat certain foods. Fast food for instance is getting easier and easier to say no to and that's great because there is very little fast food that is truly a redeemable nutrition choice. ;) And cheese spreads/dips... also a great idea to avoid and thankfully I've done a good job of doing so. Sodas: better not do it. Even the seltzer was likely a bad idea, though I ended up taking only a few sips because it just wasn't very satisfying (I really was just getting tired of drinking water and looking to drink anything with a little more pizzazz!). I know I cannot buy a full-size bag of chips and expect myself to eat a moderate amount so it's also a good idea to stay away from doing so.

So I understand, in a way, the concept of trigger foods. These foods may not necessarily throw me into a binge (except for that seltzer water the one time before I became abstinent, but like I wrote before I think that was more coinciding with an emotional trigger), but they still can potentially be a threat to my abstinence, so I either avoid them altogether or if I am to eat them (such as the single-serving 200 calorie bag of Sunchips tonight) I do so in a way that is manageable (eating a pre-portioned bag). Even eating that pre-portioned bag will need to happen very seldom so that it doesn't start becoming a bad habit though.

This is a blundering, confusing, confused post. But... in its blundering confusion it is an accurate portrayal of how I feel about my disease right now. It makes me feel a little neurotic to totally avoid a food for fear it might be a "trigger," but since I don't totally related to the trigger concept I also feel that I might be neurotically just trying to fit in with the ways many of my OA compatriots identify with their own disorders. Hmm. I dunno.

No comments: